–– Please note that the following description is an abbreviated version, and valid only for the Bachelor of Arts. If you are interested in other programs please go to our program overview page. ––
Visit us at the School of Design in Pforzheim on open house days (the ‚Werkschau‘, for example), scheduled informative meetings, portfolio consultations, and talk to our professors and students. For individual advisory meetings with our faculty staff please contact the respective Research Assistants (you can find their contact data on the program pages). Please be aware that, since all Bachelor degrees are being taught in German, you will find lots of additional information in the german version of this website – read of it as much as you can!
Please use our application portal and our portfolio portal to submit your application. Both portals are open only from October 15th - 30th.
We recommend not using mobile devices for the application process, but a desktop computer.
The following documents are needed for an application:
- A copy of your qualification for university entrance (General or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification / General or subject-specific polytechnical entrance qualification) along with the verification of equivalent qualification for university entrance:
If you are citizen of an EU country, send your translated and legally attested certificate, along with all your other application documents directly to 'Akademisches Auslandsamt der Hochschule Pforzheim', Tiefenbronner Straße 65, 75175 Pforzheim, Germany. After they have checked everything they will forward it to our Student Office.
If you are from a country outside of the EU, you have to send your school certificate to the 'Studienkolleg Konstanz' to have them certify it is sufficient for german university entry standards (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, Fachgebundene Hochschulreife). Only after you have received the approval from them you pass this approval sheet on to our Student Office (address: Studierendensekretariat, Fakultät für Gestaltung, Holzgartenstr. 36, 75175 Pforzheim, Germany), along with a copy of the school certificate (translated and legally approved) and all your other application documents.
- Letter of motivation (maximum 1 page)
- Portfolio of Artwork: For detailed information please see below.
- Proof of Language Proficiency
To get admission to study programs in Germany all international students will have to prove adequate language skills in German. For all german degree programs (all of our Design BAs are taught in German) Pforzheim University requires either 'Deutsches Sprachdiplom' (Stufe II) der Kultusministerkonferenz, DSH Prüfung (DSH 2), TestDaF (> 16), telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule or Goethe Zertifikat C2 of the Goethe Institut. Submit one of the mentioned tests.
…everything ready? Let’s go!
THE APPLICATION PORTAL
- Fill out the online application form in the application portal to submit your personal data. The application form will automatically be sent to our school once you have entered all data. Additionally, please print our the form and send it via regular mail to the following address: Studierendensekretariat Fakultät für Gestaltung, Raum G1.107, Holzgartenstr. 36, 75175 Pforzheim.
Please make sure the form has reached us via mail by October 30th!
- Upload your qualification for university entrance (General or subject-specific higher education entrance qualification / General or subject-specific polytechnical entrance qualification) along with the verification of equivalent qualification for university entrance. If you have’t received your qualification yet, you can hand it in later, but it has to be submitted by January / July 15th.
- If you are an international applicant, please also upload your Proof of Language Proficiency for German.
…done? Let’s continue with the portfolio!
THE PORTFOLIO PORTAL
In the portfolio portal, you upload your portfolio of artwork, your CV and a letter of motivation.
Specifications for the digital portfolio:
- 10 - 15 general works (hand-drawn originals); and additionally, 5 - 7 works referring to the chosen field of study. You can take pictures of your original works and submit them as .jpg-files.
- the files names must provide the following information: family name, first name, number, title. For example: LastnameFirstname_01_Portrait.jpg
- all works must be uploaded in the correct orientation (not turned or upside-down)
- the pictures of the works should show the paper margins, and an object for size reference (e.g. pen or pencil sharpener)
- for every work, the field ‚Description‘ must be filled with information about
1.) original size in cm,
2.) used material (e.g. pencil, charcoal, acrylic..),
3.) drawing base (e.g. paper, cardboard, canvas…)
- file format for all artistic works: .jpg, maximum file size: 3MB. Please do NOT upload your portfolio as pdf-files!
- upload of single works (no multi-page pdfs)
Please read the technical information on our portfolio portal before uploading your material to avoid incomplete uploads or error messages.
Your submitted artistic works will be deleted after the application period has ended.
Additionally we ask you to upload the following as digital files:
- CV (file format: .pdf)
- Letter of Motivation (1 page, file format: .pdf)
Please note that incomplete applications (applications missing an approved test of language proficiency / approved school certificate / portfolio) WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, and you will NOT be notified that something is missing. Applications sent via Email and/or late applications also will not be considered.
Application Deadlines: Regular Deadlines are April 30th (for enrollment as student in following October) and October 30th (for enrollment as student in following March). From April 15th / October 15th until the respective application deadline you can apply via our online systems mentioned above .
All documents regarding the (for some programs) mandatory internship should be sent to:
Please make sure to provide the following information in your email:
1. your complete name
2. the program you are applying for / have applied for
3. your desired first semester starting date (summer/winter semester, year)
TEST OF ARTISTIC APTITUDE (pre-selection, admission exam and interview)
During the Covid-19 pandemic, some or all of the mentioned parts of Step 3 can be held online, if required. If so, you will be notified by us as soon as possible.
Based on the submitted applications, the admission committee will make a pre-selection and decide who will be invited to the admission exam and the personal interview (usually applicants are notified about the date within 2-3 weeks after the application deadline).
The admission exam (taking place 5-6 weeks after application deadline at Pforzheim University) will show us if you are able to solve a typical design task on the fly. Usually, in the mornings you have to solve general artistic tasks, and in the afternoon you work on program specific topics. Furthermore, the candidates have to prove their qualifications in an interview – we'd like to get to know you! Interview topics can include (but are not limited to) your portfolio, your area of interest in design, or your CV. The interview can take place either on the day of the admission exam or on the day after. Please plan to be in Pforzheim for the entire time.
2-3 weeks after the test of artistic aptitude candidates are notified (via regular mail) whether they are being accepted as students at Pforzheim University School of Design.
Further Information: Internship, Enrollment, Fees & Insurance
Please be aware that you have to do a 3-month internship for all BA programs except Visual Communication (no internship) and Jewellery (12 month internship) before you start your first semester here. The programs BA in Fashion and BA in Accessory Design are offering a fee-based 3-week internship at our university (instead of the 3 months). Requirements for the internships also depend on the field of study. In any case, you should thoroughly read the FAQ section and check back with our Student Services Office (Tel. +49 (0) 7231-28 6719) whether your internship will be accepted, before you start it.
You can choose whether you do your internship before your application and the test of artistic aptitude, or after – it just has to be done before you enroll as a student here, and you will need to present proof from your employer that you did it and that you acquired the necessary knowledge (we have forms for that purpose). You can do your internship at whichever company you like.
If you got accepted as a student, have already completed your internship (or will have by the time you enroll) and have all the necessary documents ready you can submit a request for enrollment as a student ( 'Antrag auf Zulassung zum Studium') via this link.
There are some administration fees for enrolled students of the Hochschule every semester. Apart from these fees there is contribution for the 'Studentenwerk', and for the 'Verfasste Studierendenschaft', all in all around 160€ for EU citizens (more information on fees at Pforzheim University). You will be notified when to pay and to which bank account, if you are accepted as a student. Please also be aware that upon enrollment as a student you will have to present proof you have health insurance.
For downloads please refer to the german version of this page. You can switch languages by using the button on the top right of this site.