Dear prospective student, here you will find detailed information on which documents you need to upload into our application system in order to apply for the MATD. General information about the application process for Design PF Master's programs can be found on the page 'Apply for a Master's program'.
If you have any questions, we are happy to help: Our StudiCenter can be reached by e-mail or by phone at 07231 - 28 6724 / 28 6718, and here you can find the contact persons for the study program.
Please prepare the following documents:
- completed application form MATD
- English language certificate: For applicants whose native language is NOT English, language certificates according to § 3g) apply: TOEFL (IBT minimum 87 points, ITP minimum 560 points), IELTS (6.5 and above), or TOEIC (785 pts. and above) or equivalent (European Reference CEFR Level B2). Further information for international students
- Basic knowledge of German is recommended!
- A bachelor's / diploma certificate qualifying for a master's degree. The certificate must be from the fields of Transportation Design / Industrial Design, have at least 180 ECTS and a grade point average better than 2.5.
- a portfolio: the number of works can be chosen freely
- a letter of motivation
- one or more letters of recommendation
- if applicable: proof of work experience
You can apply in spring as well as in fall - the start of studies for the MATD is possible every semester.
Application deadlines for German applicants: April 30 and October 30.
Application deadlines for international applicants: March 30 and September 30.
The application deadlines mentioned are cut-off deadlines, i.e. all applications that have not been uploaded by this date can no longer be considered. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
Submission of Application
Beginning in September 2022, the MATD will accept applications in digital format only. All documents (including portfolio) must then be uploaded to our portfolio portal (see below) - international applicants please upload their application between September 1 and 30, German applicants between October 15 and 30, 2022.
Please prepare the files of your application as follows:
- Application form MATD, HZB, Bachelor/Diploma certificate, and language certificates please as ONE pdf file (including translations)
- Letter of recommendation (1 pdf)
- Letter of motivation (1 pdf)
- CV (1 pdf)
- portfolio (1 pdf)
Please label the files according to this system: LastNameFirstName_Portfolio.pdf etc.
To avoid error messages during the upload process please note the following points:
- use a stable and fast internet connection for uploading
- make sure that your browser (Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox or similar) is up to date
note the maximum number of files, file formats and file sizes per application that can be uploaded for your desired study program:
>> Bachelor's degree programs: maximum 30 files. File format .jpg
Maximum file size: 3 MB
>> Master's programs: maximum 20 files. File formats: .jpg, .pdf, .mp4.
Maximum file size: 5 MB
>> Katapult: maximum 10 files. File format: jpg. Maximum file size: 5 MB
Please check all files for completeness at the end and add missing files when you are still on the 'Thank you' screen. Do NOT close your browser window before you have added the missing files, otherwise you'll have to start the entire process again.
After a successful upload you will receive a confirmation email with a summary of the uploaded files.