Visit us at the School of Design in Pforzheim on open house days (the ‚Werkschau‘, for example), scheduled informative meetings, portfolio consultations, and talk to our professors and students. For individual advisory meetings with our faculty staff please contact the respective Research Assistants (you can find their contact data with the respective program).
Read as much as you can! For example, there is our FAQ section on the website with content about the application and registration process, and much more.
Please not: our Master programs differ in their application specifications.
First of all: fill out the respective application form.
- MACD applicants: you'll find the application form online in our application portal (yellow button, see below). Fill out the form and submit it (it is for our internal use), additionally print it out and send it along with the other documents mentioned on the list below.
- MADFM applicants: you'll find the application form online in our application portal (yellow button, see below). Fill out the form and submit it (it is for our internal use), additionally print it out and send it along with the other documents mentioned on the list below. You can include your portfolio on a digital medium like an USB memory stick.
- MATD applicants: please use the aplication form MATD (see below) and NOT the online application portal.
Please use translated and legally attested copies, never hand in original certificates!
- The respective Master Program Application form (integrated in the application portal or download, see below)
- Description of motivation (max. 2 pages)
- Legally certified copies of last completed Bachelor degree and, if available, additional completed degrees (including german or english translation, more information below)
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of language proficiency according to program specifications (further information below)
- Portfolio (according to §3 i): There is no regulation regarding the quantity of the pages. The portfolio should give an overview about the skills, the creativity and the projects already acquired and accomplished. The layout and the arrangement or which sketches/projects/information are presented in this portfolio is part of the application (further, program specific information below)
- a signed letter of consent which allows the university to discard your application documents including the portfolio of artwork if they are not being picked up in the set timeframe after the application process
The MADFM also accepts digital portfolios (on a USB memory stick). If you are submitting a digital portfolio, please attach an original and signed written statement about the authenticity of the works.
Proof of Language Proficiency in German if German is NOT your first language (according to §3f): Pforzheim University requires for the MACD German language skills on the level of DSH Prüfung (DSH 2), TestDaF (> 16), telc German C1 Hochschule or Goethe Certificate C2. Submit one of the mentioned tests. English language skills are strongly recommended.
A proposal for a possible research project. We are interested in what you would like to accomplish with the MA in Design & Future Making.
Letter of motivation (2 pages max.) which should, among others, address the following questions:
- Which experiences will you personally contribute to the MA in Design & Future Making?
- What inspires you about the MA in Design & Future Making?
- What do you understand under „Future Making“?
- Tell us something about a relevant piece of work, innovation or research that you currently find super exciting and enriching.
- Describe something that you believe will have an impact on the future of design and society.
Enrollment for MADFM is in October (winter semester) only.
Please use the yellow button above to enter our application portal (open from April 15th - April 30th) and submit your data.
Application deadline is April 30th.
E-mail-applications or late applications won’t be considered – please make sure your complete, printed application has arrived here before the above mentioned date. Also, incomplete applications (applications missing an approved test of language proficiency / approved university degree / portfolio) will NOT be accepted, and you will NOT be notified that something is missing.
Since you are sending your application via regular mail please make sure that the customs documents are declared in a proper way and that all customs duty and forwarding expenses regarding the application documents and portfolio are fully payed. Pforzheim University will not pay any additional costs/freight charges. In that case your application documents and portfolio will be sent back.
Send your complete application (printed application from the application portal as well as the other documents mentioned in the list above) to the following address:
Fakultät für Gestaltung
Enrollment for MACD: program starts in October (winter term)
- The admissions committee will make a pre-selection of applicants, based on the submitted portfolios and application documents. Typically, the applicants will be informed about 2 weeks after the application deadline if they are invited to an admissions exam and / or admissions interview a the School of Design (these parts of the application process usually take place approximately 5-6 weeks after the application deadline).
- The admission test will show us if you are able to solve a typical design task on the fly. The participants are informed of the given task on test day and have four hours at most to solve it. Whether applicants have to do the test or not depends on the Master Program they apply for and / or on the number of ECTS they achieved in their first degree.
- Admission interview: We would like to get to know you in person! Interview topics can include your work as shown in your submitted portfolio, your research proposal, areas of design you find interesting, your background as well as potential work experience.
Please plan for a full day for the test and interview at our facilities (or online, depending on the situation).
2 - 3 weeks after the admission test and interview you will be notified whether you will be accepted as a student in your desired master program.
We are looking forward to your application! Good luck!
Program specific information for MADFM applicants: usually, there is no admission test for applicants but only pre-selection and admission interview.
If you got accepted as a student and have all the necessary documents ready (visa, proof of health insurance etc.) you can submit a request for enrollment as a student ('Antrag auf Zulassung zum Studium'). You will be notified in advance when and how to submit the request.
There is no tuition, but around 160 Euro of semester fees for enrolled students of the Hochschule every semester (administration fees, contribution for the 'Studentenwerk', and the 'Verfasste Studierendenschaft'). You will be notified when to pay and to which bank account, if you are accepted as a student. More information on fees
Additionally, the State of Baden-Württemberg introduced tuition fees for international students from the winter semester 2017/2018 onwards. The law stipulates that international students are required to pay 1,500 euros per semester. For more information on that topic please check this page.
Please also be aware that upon enrollment as a student you will also have to present proof you have health insurance, and you also might have to take care of a visa for Germany in advance. Classes usually start around March 15th / October 1st.